Our time-saving air fryer chicken broccoli rice casserole recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner and is sure to be a hit with the whole family. The dish provides a wholesome combination of fork-tender chicken, crunchy broccoli, creamy rice, and crispy cheese topping.
Is This Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe Healthy?
Yes, this air fryer chicken broccoli rice casserole recipe is healthy.
Containing chicken, rice, broccoli, and cheese, this air fryer chicken broccoli rice casserole provides carbs, protein, and vegetables all in one meal. Besides, the dish also offers a huge variety of micronutrients.
Though rich and packed with flavor, each serving of this casserole provides only 470 calories, allowing you to combine a side and a juice drink as well. We also keep a close eye on the amounts of saturated fat and sodium in each dish and take the appropriate steps to ensure they’re within the recommended limits:
- The amount of added milk, heavy cream, and cheese topping is carefully formulated, guaranteeing both a creamy texture and a healthy saturated fat content (9 g per serving).
- We use just enough salt to deliver plenty of flavor while keeping the sodium level aligned with healthy guidelines (559 mg per serving).
If you are in love with quick, easy-to-make dishes and looking for more healthy casserole recipes, give our Shrimp Casserole and Salmon Casserole a try! They are made from scratch with healthy ingredients and make delicious meals without a lot of time or work.
Ingredients for Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Chicken: Both chicken breast and chicken thighs work beautifully in this recipe. Just ensure the chosen cuts are boneless and skinless to save you some prep time.
- Seasoning: Salt to taste and the mixture of paprika, Cajun seasoning, and black pepper provides a wonderful heat with a deep flavor.
- Broccoli: Crunchy and packed with nutrients, broccoli is our favorite for this casserole, but you can use any variety of veggies you have on hand. Great alternatives include mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans, and snow peas.
- Cooked Rice: Our air fryer chicken broccoli rice casserole recipe calls for cooked rice, so the dish spends only 10 minutes in the air fryer for a perfectly fluffy consistency.
- Milk and Heavy Cream: Dairy adds creamy goodness, and helps mix all the ingredients together.
- Cheese: Any cheese that melts evenly is great for getting a creamy brown crusty layer on top. The mix of Cheddar and Mozzarella is our favorite for this chicken broccoli rice casserole.
Can You Add Uncooked Rice to this Casserole?
We are afraid the answer is no. The rice must be simmered in water on low heat for quite a period of time to allow the starch to bloom and become sticky.
Since our air fryer casserole recipe takes only 10 minutes in the air fryer, it’s best to go with cooked rice. This will ensure your casserole is cooked tenderly and fluffy every time.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole in an Air Fryer
Our air fryer chicken broccoli casserole comes together in less than an hour, making it an ideal option when you’re deciding what to make for the whole family at the end of a busy day. Here’s how to make the dish:
Sauté the herbs.
Add the chicken and seasonings to the skillet.
Stir in the flour, milk, and heavy cream.
Shred the chicken.
Add the broccoli and heavy cream.
Combine the rice to the chicken and veggies mixture.
Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese on top.
Cook the dish in the air fryer.
Garnish and serve the dish hot.
Storage and Reheat the Leftover
Although rice casseroles are always better eaten right from the oven, this air fryer chicken broccoli rice casserole will also store well in the fridge for the next meal.
Simply divide the dish into individual portions and place them in airtight containers or freezer bags. Chicken broccoli rice casserole lasts for 3 – 4 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
When ready to enjoy the dish, transfer the frozen casserole to the fridge and thaw overnight. Heat your casserole in the air fryer or the oven to get those deliciously crispy edges again.
What to Serve With Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Packed with flavor and easy-to-make, this versatile chicken broccoli rice casserole is just as good for weeknight dinners as it is for casual parties and family gatherings. To turn the dish into a wholesome meal, we decided to enjoy it with a Greek salad and pear juice.
The combination brings even more variety to the tastes and textures of the dish, making it an altogether more exciting trip.
Air Fryer Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
- 14 oz skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 oz onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 oz broccoli florets
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked medium-grain rice
- 1/4 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 2 oz Mozzarella shredded
- 1.5 oz Cheddar shredded
- 2 tbsp parsley
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp garlic, and 2 oz onion to the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add 14 oz chicken breast, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning, 1/2 tsp black pepper and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp all-purpose flour and stir until well combined. Then pour in 1/2 cup unsalted chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk and cook at low heat for 7 minutes.
- Shred the chicken breast using two forks.
- Add 6 oz broccoli florets and 4 tbsp heavy cream. Continue to cook for an extra 3 minutes.
- Then mix 2 cups of cooked rice into the stir-fried mixture until well combined.
- Put the rice mixture into a casserole dish. Top with 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, 2 oz Mozzarella, and 1.5 oz Cheddar.
- Put the casserole dish into the air fryer and cook 355 ℉ for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the air fryer. Garnish with 2 tbsp parsley and serve hot.