Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
This shrimp jambalaya recipe takes 42 minutes, 20 of which are hands-free. The result is a moist batch of rice filled with flavors you love.
- PREP TIME 7 mins
- COOK TIME 35 mins
- TOTAL TIME 42 mins
- 9 oz peeled shrimp from 18 oz raw
- 1 tsp paprika divided in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided in half
- 2 oz smoked sausage sliced
- 2 oz onion about half a medium, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic about 3 cloves, minced
- 4 oz tomato about 1 medium, chopped
- 2 oz green bell pepper about half a medium, chopped
- 2 oz celery about 1 large, chopped
- 1.50 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 0.25 tsp chili powder
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp ground black pepper
- 0.25 tsp thyme
- 1.50 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 tbsp scallion finely chopped
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pot (be sure it has a lid) over medium heat. Coat 9 oz peeled shrimp in 1/2 tsp paprika, and sear for 3 minutes (2 for the first side, 1 for the other). Place in a bowl and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté 2 oz smoked sausage slices for about a minute or until they’re a bit charred.
Stir in 2 oz chopped onion and 1 tbsp minced garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, then add the veg: 4 oz chopped tomato, 2 oz green bell pepper, and 2 oz celery. Stir everything for 2 minutes.
Add the seasonings: 1 1/2 tsp Tabasco, 1 tsp Sriracha, 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, 1 tsp lime juice, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp thyme. Stir to incorporate.
Tip 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice in and stir for about a minute or so, then pour in 3 cups unsalted chicken broth. Scrape the bottom using a wooden spoon, then place the lid on and simmer everything on low for 20 minutes.
Carefully remove the lid, add the shrimp back in, and fluff the rice. Turn the heat off, sprinkle 2 tbsp chopped scallion on top, and enjoy!