Shrimp Soup Recipe
This shrimp soup recipe makes a hearty bowl of shrimp and veggie soup. It may not cook quickly, but the result is worth your time.
- PREP TIME 7 mins
- COOK TIME 53 mins
- TOTAL TIME 60 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic about 3 cloves, minced
- 3 oz onions about 3/4 a medium, chopped
- 2 oz celery about 1 stalk, chopped
- 2 oz carrots about 1 medium, cut into chunks
- 1.50 tbsp unsalted butter about 0.75 oz
- 12 oz peeled shrimp from about 24 oz whole
- 2 tsp lemon juice from about half a lemon
- 0.50 tsp thyme about a sprig
- 0.50 tsp paprika divided
- 0.50 tsp garlic powder
- 0.50 tsp salt
- 0.50 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 24 oz potatoes about 3 medium, cut into chunks
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 0.25 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
In a non-stick pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and stir in 1 tbsp minced garlic for 30 seconds.
Add 3 oz onions, 2 oz celery, and 2 oz carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Make space in the pot and add 12 oz peeled shrimp to sear. Add 1 1/2 tbsp butter, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Give everything a nice mix and allow it to cook for 3 minutes.
Deglaze the pot with 2 tbsp white wine. Scrape the pot with a wooden spoon (or heat-resistant spatula) to release any stubborn browned bits.
Add 8 oz white mushrooms and stir to cook for 3 minutes.
Add 24 oz potatoes, stir, and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
Gently pour in 2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup whole milk. Add 2 bay leaves. Turn the heat on high to bring it to a boil and then reduce it to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Use a whisk to beat the soup until the potatoes are mashed. If they’re still a bit stiff, use a potato masher or fork and mash them right in the pot. We’re looking for a texture about halfway between chunky and silky.
Add 1/4 cup heavy cream and cook for another 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Garnish with 2 tbsp chopped parsley and the remaining paprika (1/4 tsp) and enjoy.