Today’s cauliflower tots recipe is a creative twist, with cauliflower rice being swapped for potatoes. We believe this food-makeover idea could receive praise from people of all ages.
Are Cauliflower Tots Healthy?
Yes, they are. These tots are light to snack on and also pair beautifully with protein-rich entrées such as chicken nuggets or meatloaf.
This recipe provides 20.7 grams of carbohydrates in comparison to the familiar tater tots with potatoes. It’s a great choice for when you’re trying to cut back on carbs and white starch.
For the cheddar and Parmesan cheese, feel free to substitute them for low-fat or dairy-free cheese (vegan cheese) if desired, or simply reduce the amount of either type. It won’t alter the overall flavor and texture much.
Our ingredient list may look long, but it takes no more than a single step to combine them together in a mixing bowl.
- Cauliflower: We steam cauliflower rice to tender, squeeze excess water out, and then combine them with remaining ingredients to make into tot dough.
- Egg and flour: Helps bind all the ingredients in the dough together.
- Grated Parmesan and shredded cheddar: Adds a touch of sharpness and melting flavor to the entire dish.
- Seasonings: Salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and freshly chopped parsley add subtle, herby hints to our tots.
- Unsalted butter: For a little grease in baking to prevent burning and drying.
- Ketchup: Works as a dipping sauce for a tasty finish.
How to Make Cauliflower Tots
Not only are these tots tasty finger food, but they’re also a smart way to sneak more vegetables into your diet — especially when you’ve had enough salads for the week. You’ll need just 7 steps to put it together:
Steam the cauliflower in a saucepan.
Remove the cauliflower. Drain, let cool, and squeeze out excess liquid from the cauliflower using a cheesecloth.
Make the tots dough in a mixing bowl.
Form the tots.
Bake until golden brown at 390℉.
Remove the tots from the oven and enjoy them hot with ketchup.
Tips for Making
Technically, there are two simple ways to rice cauliflower at home for tots:
- Use a food processor: This is what we do for most dishes with cauliflower rice that we shared on the website. Raw cauliflower needs only 3 or 4 pulses (each pulse lasts no more than a few seconds) to turn to fine crumbs, so be careful not to overdo it and make it a mass.
- Use a box grater: For the same reason as above, it’s best to grate the cauliflower on the coarse side of the grater to avoid it from being overly processed.
Also, make sure the cauliflower rice is completely dry and fluffy before mixing it into the tots dough. Otherwise, the tots will turn squashy in the oven and won’t crisp up very well.
How to Store and Reheat Cauliflower Tots
Leftover cauliflower tots can stay well in the fridge if stored properly in an airtight container for up to a week. Make sure they’ve cooled down completely before storing.
Cauliflower tots are also freezer-friendly — they can freeze well for up to 3 months.
To freeze, first, prepare a parchment-lined baking sheet, place the tots in a single layer and freeze until solid. Next, transfer them to a Ziploc bag and put them in the freezer.
Cauliflower tots can be reheated in the oven or in the microwave until warmed through, though they will probably get softer either way. For a crispy exterior, consider bringing them onto the stovetop for pan-frying.
Cauliflower Tots Recipe
- 22 oz cauliflower riced
- 6 tbsp plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 0.25 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tbsp Heinz’s Ketchup
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring it to a boil. Place 22 oz riced cauliflower in a steamer basket set over the saucepan and just above the water surface. Cover and steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the saucepan. Drain and let cool. Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a cheesecloth. Gather the four corners of the cheesecloth into your palm, use the other hand to squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Preheat the oven to 390℉.
- Make the dough: Transfer the cauliflower to a mixing bowl together with 6 tbsp breadcrumbs, 1 oz shredded cheddar cheese, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 medium beaten egg, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 0.25 oz grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tbsp unsalted butter, and 2 tbsp all-purpose flour. Mix it up with a spatula so everything binds together.
- Form the tots: Pick up small balls from the dough, use your hands to form them into small tater-tot-sized patties and gently flatten them with your palms.
- Place the tots on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, make sure to keep the tots 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the cauliflower tots from the oven. Enjoy them hot with 3 1/2 tbsp Heinz's Ketchup.