This Instant Pot zuppa toscana recipe only takes a few ingredients and hardly any effort to make from scratch. Using the Instant Pot means it requires even fewer utensils than normal and makes the cleaning afterwards easier.
Before we start cooking, here are a few interesting facts you may want to know about today’s recipe.
What Is Zuppa Toscana?
Originally from Italy, zuppa toscana, literally translated as “Tuscan soup,” has been popularized by the Italian-American restaurant chain, Olive Garden.
A classic Tuscan soup consists of olive oil, water, potatoes, kale, onions, carrots, celery, cannellini beans, tomatoes, and sometimes zucchini. A type of Tuscan cured bacon is added to give the soup a more savory flavor.
At restaurants, you will find a few slices of toasted Tuscan bread next to your bowl of warm zuppa toscana.
The Olive Garden version of this soup is much richer due to an addition of heavy cream and garlic purée. Italian sausages also replace Tuscan bacon because they’re easier to find in the US.
Tuscan soup tends to have large amounts of calories, fat, and sodium due to its rich ingredients. But that won’t be the case for today’s recipe.
Is Zuppa Toscana Healthy?
Yes! We had to alter a few things about the recipe to fit within our health guidelines, but it came out great. Here’s what we did to make it healthy:
We only used a touch of heavy cream to cut down on saturated fat. We replaced some of it with milk because it’s lower in calories and fat, but still creates a rich and delicious soup.
Our zuppa toscana recipe also contains sausages so we had to pay close attention to the sodium content.
We cooked the sausages in unsalted chicken broth to let them season the soup. By doing so, we were able to cut down on salt — we only needed to add ¼ teaspoon for the entire 4 servings of soup.
To learn more about your recommended saturated fat and sodium intake, check out our healthy eating guidelines.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Ingredients
Here is a quick look at the ingredients for today’s zuppa toscana recipe:
- Olive oil: We recommend using extra virgin olive oil as it is more fragrant and adds flavor to your soup.
- Sausage: We’re using smoked sausage, but you can use Italian sausage or even bacon if you want.
- Flavorants: We’re using both raw and powdered garlic and onion to give the dish a more savory aroma and taste.
- Vegetables: Carrots, potatoes, and kale are full of carbs and fiber. They make the soup more filling and can keep you full longer.
- Liquids: As mentioned, we’re using unsalted chicken broth, milk, and heavy cream. You can replace chicken broth with water or vegetable stock if you want.
- Herbs: We’re using freshly chopped parsley but thyme would also be a great fit to this recipe.
- Salt and pepper: These enhance the flavor of the soup.
How to Make Zuppa Toscana in an Instant Pot
Here is an overview of our Instant Pot zuppa toscana recipe:
Sear the sausage.
Sweat the vegetables.
Toast the spices.
Add liquid and cook.
Garnish and serve.
Check out the recipe below for full ingredient measurements and detailed instructions.
Tips for Making Perfect Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Since today’s zuppa toscana is so simple, we only have one tip for you, and that is soaking the potatoes.
Once you’ve cut potatoes into cubes, put them into a tub of tap water. Potatoes tend to oxidize quickly when exposed to air. Soaking them can prevent them from browning.
Although brown potatoes don’t affect the taste of your soup, they can be visually unappealing. We try to avoid letting them brown.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
We recommend letting the soup cool completely before putting it in an airtight container. It can last up to 3 days in the fridge or a month in the freezer.
To reheat your zuppa toscana, transfer it to a microwavable container and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
With frozen soup, allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight or defrost it in the microwave before you reheat.
What to Serve With Zuppa Toscana Soup
Zuppa toscana can be a great appetizer or soup course for any meal. Since this soup already contains carbohydrates, you don’t need to add more to your main course.
We recommend serving this soup with a simple chicken or beef dish to make a wholesome, comforting meal.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz smoked sausages finely diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 oz onions finely diced
- 2 oz carrots finely diced
- 20 oz potatoes cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 oz kale roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- Sear the sausage: Turn on your Instant Pot, set it to “Sauté,” and wait for it to heat up. Add olive oil and diced sausages. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until lightly browned.
- Sweat the vegetables: Add minced garlic, diced onions, and diced carrots. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Toast the spices: Add potatoes, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to the pot. Stir for 2 minutes to awaken the spice aroma and coat the seasonings evenly.
- Add liquid and cook: Add unsalted chicken broth, milk, and heavy cream to the pot. Stir a few times to combine. Cover with the lid and turn the valve knob to “sealing position.” Set your Instant Pot to the “Steam” program for 25 minutes.
- Add kale: After 25 minutes, carefully turn the valve knob to release the steam before opening the lid. Set to “Sauté” again. Add kale and cook for another 1 minute.
- Garnish and serve: Ladle the soup into a deep dish or bowl. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately.