Nothing brings Mexico closer to our hearts than a bowl of corn black bean salad. It’s basic in its presentation but carries bold characteristics. Our salad features corn, black bean, jalapeño, red bell pepper, and other ingredients, offering tons of nutrients for a productive day.
Is Corn Black Bean Salad Healthy?
For those who have been enjoying healthy greens a lot recently, this corn black bean salad is a great substitution.
One serving containing 6 oz of black beans provides our body with 35.4 g of plant-based protein and 42 g of dietary fiber. While high-quality protein may help prevent heart diseases, fiber may enhance insulin sensitivity.
Red bell pepper, jalapeño, onion, pumpkin seeds, and Mexican spices make up the rest of the dish. They add a significant amount of healthy fats, antioxidants, and complex carbohydrates to our diet.
With 161 calories per serving, you can feel free to enjoy your salad while staying fit and healthy. Our recipe is also low-sodium, low-saturated fat, and cholesterol-free.
Ingredients for Corn Black Bean Salad
Do not let the list of ingredients intimidate you as they can all be easily found at your local grocery store or supermarket.
- Corn: Fresh yellow corn with its high-water content is an excellent choice for a bold dish. It not only adds sweetness but also reduces the pungent taste of the spices, making it more kid friendly.
- Black beans: Black beans have a slightly starchy texture and mushroom-like taste. Once blended with a salad, they create a creamy, solid base for other ingredients to shine. You should opt for high-quality black beans that are odorless and free of any mold.
- Red bell pepper: Among many varieties, red bell pepper possesses the most intense sweetness and juiciness that we all love.
- Jalapeño peppers: Jalapeño peppers give this salad a spicy kick. They taste much like serrano peppers but with a more moderate level of heat. Moreover, the combination color of green, red, and yellow shouts Mexican carnival to us.
- Chili powder and cumin: Chili powder and cumin bring a warm aroma with a tip-of-the-tongue kick.
- Fresh herbs: Chopped cilantro and parsley work harmoniously in this recipe. They keep our salad light and fresh without overpowering the main ingredients.
- Lime juice: A nice drizzling of lime juice both amplifies the flavors in our salad and prevents the cut veggies from oxidation.
Can I Use Canned Corn for This Salad?
Yes, you can.
For convenience, if you have a can to hand, feel free to use it in this recipe. However, keep in mind that canned corn kernels are processed to a certain degree being soaked in salt water and other preservatives. For that reason, the taste and nutrients of your salad may be affected.
What to Serve Corn Black Bean Salad With
Without any accompaniments, our corn black bean salad makes a great breakfast or brunch. Healthy carbs will keep your energy levels up throughout the day.
If you decide to serve this salad beside other main dishes, it works just fine on top of grilled meat or toast. Moreover, our corn black bean salad can easily be chopped up and turned into salsa for your “taco Tuesday”.
How to Store Leftovers
Like other salads, stored in an airtight bag your leftovers will last up to 4 days in the fridge.
However, if you want to freeze this salad for much later, you should do so before adding the oil, lemon juice, and spices. By doing this, you will lower the chance of having a mushy, unappealing salad.
How to Make Corn Black Bean Salad
- 6 oz corn
- 6 oz canned black bean
- 1 oz red bell pepper diced
- 0.5 oz jalapeño roughly chopped
- 1 oz onion diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 0.5 oz pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1/4 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a big mixing bowl, add 6 oz corn, 6 oz canned black bean, 1 oz diced red bell pepper, 0.5 oz roughly chopped jalapeño, 1 oz diced onion, 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 0.5 oz pumpkin seeds, 1 tbsp chopped garlic, 1/4 tbsp cumin, 1/4 tbsp chili powder, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp lime juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Toss until the ingredients are well combined.
- Divide salad into small portions in a small serving bowl. Enjoy.