For today’s white bean and kale soup recipe, we have canned beans, kale, onion, carrot, celery, and some pantry seasonings. The result is flavorful and tender and, if you get the vegetables already prepped, it’s also quick to make.
Is White Bean and Kale Soup Healthy?
This soup is made with five nutrient-dense ingredients, and that alone speaks for itself. This nourishing soup contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, calcium, magnesium, etc., all necessary for your body.
Compared to many creamy soups, this one is healthier as it comes with a low saturated fat level (3.4 g per serving). It’s also quite moderate in sodium (267 mg).
Since the soup contains no meat or protein-rich ingredients, we treated it as a side dish and kept its calories at around 165 per serving. It should be paired with heavy main dishes, such as roasted meats.
Ingredients for This White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe
- Canned white beans: drained and rinsed before cooking to get rid of excess salt.
- Veg: carrot, celery, and onion. Chop them and make sure they’re even in size so they cook more evenly.
- Liquids: chicken broth, milk, and cream. If you want to make the soup vegan-friendly, opt for vegetable broth, plant-based milk, and plant-based cream.
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, and tomato paste. You can also add cayenne for an extra kick of heat.
- Aromatics: garlic, minced. To peel a garlic clove, simply slice off its root, press it down with the side of your knife, and the peel comes right off. No jar or shaking required.
The steps to making this soup are in the ‘white bean and kale soup recipe’ card at the bottom, with pictures and videos.
Storing and Reheating the Soup
- Keep the soup in portions: ladle each serving into containers/Ziploc bags, and seal tight.
- Refrigerate or freeze: keep the soup for four days in the fridge, and three months in the freezer. If you’re forgetful, label the container with the date of storage.
- Reheat: transfer the soup into a pot and simmer over low heat until thoroughly heated through.
How to Make White Bean and Kale Soup
Today's white bean and kale soup recipe is tasty and healthy. It's easy to make, too.
- cook TIME 27 mins
- prep TIME 8 mins
- total TIME 35 mins
- COURSE Side Dish
- CUISINE Global
- SERVINGS servings
- CALORIES 165 kcal
- 1 tspgarlic (minced)
- 2 ozonion (chopped)
- 2 ozcarrot (chopped)
- 1 ozcelery (chopped)
- 8 ozlow-sodium canned white beans (drained)
- 2 tbspparsley (finely chopped)
- 2 ozkale (torn by hand or roughly chopped)
- 1 tbspolive oil
- 1 cupwhole milk
- 1 cupunsalted chicken broth
- 0.3 tspground black pepper
- 0.3 tspsalt
- 2 tbspheavy cream
Chop the garlic: Slice the root off 1 garlic clove, press it down with a knife, and peel away. Chop it finely and measure out about 1 tsp garlic.
Chop the carrot: Cut a segment that measures about 2 oz, and put the rest away. Slice the segment into 1/8” slices, the slices into fingers, then the fingers into cubes.
Chop the onion: Slice an onion in half, put one half away in the fridge, and peel the other half. Chop that half and measure out 2 oz.
Chop the celery: Slice the leaves off a celery stalk and put it away. Half the stalk lengthwise, and chop both halves. Measure out 1 oz celery.
Drain the beans: Drain a can of white beans with a colander, and rinse it well. Measure out 8 oz and put the rest away.
Tear/chop the kale: Measure out 2 oz kale and tear or chop it into smaller pieces.
Chop parsley: Chop 3-4 sprigs of parsley and measure out 2 tbsp.
Cook the aromatics: Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pot on medium heat for 30 seconds. Sauté 1 tsp garlic and 2 oz onion for 30 seconds.
Add the carrot and celery: Add 2 oz carrot and 1 oz celery. Sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the liquids and seasonings: Add 1 cup broth, 1 cup milk, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
Add the beans, cream, and kale: Add 8 oz white beans, 2 tbsp heavy cream, and 2 oz kale. Stir to cook for about 2 minutes, then turn off the heat.
Serve: Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.