Russian cuisine gives us the impression of generous portions, dairy-rich food, and exquisite flavors. If these qualities tingle your taste buds, have a go at our scrumptious beef stroganoff recipes to prepare your next meal.
We are thrilled to share the best picks from our collection of beef stroganoff recipes.
Best Beef Stroganoff Recipes
Armed with all this information, we believe you’re more than ready to whip up a delicious meal for the family.
Here is a list of our favorite beef stroganoff recipes.
1. Russian Beef Stroganoff
Whether you're a seasoned foodie or a novice in the kitchen, this beef stroganoff is a dish that will win over hearts and stomachs alike. After all, who doesn’t like tender pasta and juicy beef smothered in a rich, savory, and creamy sauce? With earthy and umami mushrooms in between bites, there’s no doubt you’ll be having the time of your life.Go to Recipe
2. Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This recipe offers a stew version of the classic beef stroganoff. It’s slow-cooked, so you’ll be needing some time and patience, but every second will be worth it once you taste all the magical flavor depths. The fall-apart tender beef melts right into the creamy, buttery, and garlicky sauce, delivering complex flavor layers that somehow still work excellently with one another. Serve it over pasta or mashed potatoes and you’ve got a comfort dish no one will be able to turn down.Go to Recipe
3. Beef Stroganoff Meatballs
Take Beef Stroganoff to a whole new level of deliciousness with these Beef Stroganoff Meatballs! Imagine juicy, perfectly seasoned meatballs, bathed in a creamy sauce that's bursting with flavors of mushrooms, onions, thymes, and a hint of tangy sour cream. These little bites of heaven are like a party in your mouth, delivering a symphony of savory goodness that will leave you craving more. Go to Recipe
4. Beef Stroganoff Casserole
When stroganoff and casserole come together, you already know the dish is going to be overloaded with warmth and comfort. This mouthwatering dish takes all the classic flavors of Beef Stroganoff and transforms them into a hearty, cozy, and decadent casserole.
Layers upon layers of tender egg noodles and chewy beef are tied together by a deliciously creamy mushroom sauce. Whether you're hosting a dinner party or simply treating yourself to a cozy night in, this beef stroganoff casserole is the perfect choice for an unforgettable night.Go to Recipe
5. Ground Beef Stroganoff
Sirloins, rib eyes, and steaks are most often used for beef stroganoff, but you can take a more economical approach to this dish with the use of ground beef. The meat is so tender, it practically melts in your mouth, while the mushrooms add a delightful earthy note and the sour cream comes in with its tangy goodness. The creamy sauce, with its velvety texture and perfectly balanced flavors, will have you savoring each and every bite.Go to Recipe
6. Beef Stroganoff Soup
Get ready to dive into pure comfort with this Beef Stroganoff Soup! It tastes just like the classic beef stroganoff—harmoniously savory and creamy, with delicate hints of herbs and mushrooms—but with the added warmth of a soup. It pampers and nourishes your taste buds with every spoonful and comes together with absolute ease. Don't miss out on this soup-tacular dish that only takes 30 minutes to make!Go to Recipe
7. French Onion Beef Stroganoff
This recipe brings a French onion twist that completely takes beef stroganoff to the next level. Imagine tender strips of beef, seared to perfection, mingling with caramelized onions that have been lovingly cooked until golden brown. The combination of flavors is pure magic, as the sweetness of the onions perfectly balances the richness of the beef. Combined with the luscious, velvety sauce and ooey-gooey cheese, each bite is nothing short of heavenly.Go to Recipe
Reasons to Love
Before delving into recipes and cooking tips, let’s discover what makes beef stroganoff worth trying.
- It’s nutritious: A successful beef stroganoff dish often calls for sirloin steaks simmered in a luscious mushroom cream sauce. Featuring beef, mushrooms, and dairy products, this dish has an abundance of nutrients to offer. While red meat and dairies are rich in protein and minerals (zinc, iron, and calcium), white mushrooms add extra fiber to your diet.
- It’s quick and easy: Unlike beef soups or stews which call for hours of slow cooking, beef stroganoff will be ready to put on your table in the blink of an eye. Thin slices of beef need a quick sauté with mushrooms before being smothered in the cream sauce; this process will take around 20 minutes to complete.
- It needs less cleanup: You don’t need a collection of pans and pots to pull together this Russian signature dish—one trusty skillet is enough. If you already have an Instant Pot in the pantry, use it to save more cooking time. Since most parts of the Instant Pot are dishwasher-safe, cleaning it will be a breeze.
- It’s versatile: Though beef stroganoff, specifically, requires high-end beef cuts for their delicate texture, the cream sauce and the add-ins are customizable. Continue reading to explore various versions of your favorite beef stroganoff dish.
What Cuts of Meat Are Best for These Recipe?
Tough beef cuts (chuck, round, and brisket), which are more affordable than tender cuts, work wonders in stew recipes. However, their collagen-rich connective tissues are a deal breaker for beef stroganoff.
Since beef stroganoff is a fast-cooking dish, which involves pan-searing the beef for only a few minutes, you should go with premium tender beef cuts—the end result will be worth every penny spent.
- Sirloin (New York strip): Obtained from the large back muscle of the cow, this cut is categorized into two main types (top and bottom) with slightly different price points. Top sirloin is juicier and pricier than bottom cuts.
- Tenderloin: Tenderloin is widely considered one of the most tender and flavorful cuts, since it isn’t weight-bearing and has fewer connective tissues.
- Fillet mignon: Professional chefs crown fillet mignon the king of steaks, as it possesses a melt-in-your-mouth texture and intense beefy flavor.
- Ribeye steak (Scotch fillet): The butchers take this cut from the rib section, which does not get much exercise. Due to its tender texture and intriguing flavor, this cut is a high-end option.
Best Wine to Use
It won’t be an exaggeration to say beef stroganoff has traveled the world. Each cuisine has a different interpretation of the dish; some incorporate wine into the cream sauce.
When it comes to cooking, we recommend using dry white wine with high acidity and neutral flavor. Here are some suggestions:
- Sauvignon Blanc: the fruity taste of peach, grapefruit, and pear with herbal scents.
- Pinot Grigio: the natural sweetness of honey and apple with a floral aroma.
- Gris: the complex flavor profile of tropical fruit and warm spices.
- Oaked chardonnay: the rich notes of vanilla, papaya, and pineapple.
Substitutes for Cream of Mushroom
If you don’t want to stick to the classic, try replacing cream of mushroom with other substitutes—there are plenty of choices.
- Cream of chicken: Possessing the same velvety consistency and savory taste as cream of mushroom, cream of chicken is a great alternative.
- Cream of potato soup: This potato-based option will give your cream sauce a thick texture without overpowering the flavor of other ingredients.
- Cream of celery: Flavor-wise, cream of celery has a pronounced taste of celery, which is quite different from cream of mushroom. This option is perfect to brighten the overall flavor of beef stroganoff.
- Cream of broccoli: If you’re looking for a saltier and slightly heavier choice than cream of celery, opt for cream of broccoli.
No matter which option you choose, use a 1:1 ratio to the cream of mushroom.
Beef Stroganoff Recipes You Should Totally Check Out
These beef stroganoff recipes are here to comfort, nourish, and delight your taste buds with every forkful. The best part? They’re incredibly versatile, so you won’t have to simply stick to the classics. Transform it into meatballs, soups, and casseroles—the choice is yours!
- Choose a recipe that you like.
- Assemble all the essential ingredients.
- Follow the instructions to serve up delicious, hearty, and flavorful beef stroganoff dishes in less than an hour!