Today’s chocolate spinach smoothie recipe creates a no-cook breakfast or a quick post-workout beverage that is full of plant-based nutrients and antioxidants.
In contrast to the green hue of most veggie smoothies, the dark chocolate and cocoa make this smoothie look and taste like a chocolate milkshake, allowing you to hide a variety of healthy ingredients used in this smoothie. The result is so creamy, chocolate-y, and sweet that no one will ever guess it contains vegetables.
Is This Chocolate Spinach Smoothie Recipe Healthy?
Having a fair share of healthy ingredients, including banana, spinach, dark chocolate, and cocoa powder, we believe that our chocolate spinach smoothie recipe is healthy.
According to our calculations, the nutrition for one serving of the chocolate spinach smoothie is as follows:
- Calories: 174
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Sugar: 18.4 g
- Vitamin A: 11% RDI (Recommended Daily Intake)
- Vitamin C: 13% RDI
- Vitamin B6: 22% RDI
- Vitamin K: 87% RDI
- Magnesium: 18% RDI
Furthermore, this delicious blend of fruit, vegetable, and cocoa offers many health benefits.
Raw cacao is loaded with healthful elements. It contains fiber, antioxidants, magnesium, and iron in plenty. In addition, it includes “good mood” boosting phytochemicals that can help you begin your day on a cheerful note.
Spinach is an antioxidant-rich vegetable. These leafy greens include numerous essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and K, calcium, iron, and magnesium.
If you’re exploring smoothies and want to have more healthy recipes in your rotation, check out our Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie and Chocolate Avocado Smoothie. They feature leafy greens and are heavenly delicious.
What’s in This Smoothie?
Though having the look and taste of a milkshake, our chocolate smoothie bowl is a healthy way to start your day, using only a few simple ingredients.
- Spinach: This veggie is great for adding to smoothies because it’s tender, mild in flavor, and loaded with healthful nutrients.
- Bananas: Our chocolate spinach smoothie recipe calls for bananas to get a creamy and naturally sweetened base. However, some individuals are allergic to bananas or simply dislike the flavor. You can substitute 1 cup of frozen mango for the banana in this spinach and cacao smoothie.
- Dark Chocolate: For this smoothie, we use dark chocolate that is made of 65% cacao solids for a signature chocolate-y taste.
- Cocoa Powder: Adds a slightly bitter taste to highlight the smoothie’s rich chocolate flavor.
- Milk: To make the smoothie dairy-free or vegan, you can replace regular milk with plant-based types such as almond, soy, or coconut milk.
- Honey: You can also sweeten with another unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup. Agave also works in this chocolate spinach smoothie.
- Ice: For a frosty and dessert-like texture.
How to Make This Chocolate Spinach Smoothie
With our chocolate spinach smoothie recipe, it’s possible to satisfy your chocolate milkshake craving without expensive ingredients. Here’s how we make the drink:
In a blender, combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
Pour into serving glasses.
Serve the drink immediately.
Storage for the Leftover Smoothie
This chocolate spinach smoothie is best consumed out of a blender, or within 2 hours. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container or jar, covered with a lid. You can keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze the smoothie for up to 3 months. When ready to use, simply thaw the drink overnight in the fridge. If the chocolate spinach smoothie separates, give it a quick stir in the morning.
Chocolate Spinach Smoothie Recipe
- 2 oz spinach chopped
- 12 oz bananas sliced
- 3 cups ice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 oz dark chocolate 60-69% cocoa solids, chopped
- Put 3 cups of ice, 2 oz spinach, 12 oz bananas, 1 cup milk, 1/2 tbsp honey, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, and 1 oz dark chocolate into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into serving glasses.
- Serve the drink immediately.