If your chocolate cravings pay a visit, but you don’t want to sip those calorie-dense milkshakes, give our chocolate avocado smoothie recipe a try. It’s thick, creamy, and makes an irresistible treat that satisfies your cravings.
Though it tastes like a rich milkshake, this chocolate avocado smoothie is actually good for you.
Is Our Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Recipe Healthy?
Yes, our chocolate avocado smoothie recipe is healthy. The recipe is packed with nourishing ingredients.
Avocados have various nutrients and minerals, which make them a superfood. Take a look at the nutritional profile from the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture): One avocado, at 220g, contains 322 calories, mostly from 29.5 grams of beneficial fat and around 17 grams of carbohydrates, including 9 grams of fiber.
It is actually the only fruit that contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids (oleic acid). This amazing fruit also provides riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, pantothenic acid, magnesium, potassium, lutein, beta-carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids.
As for cocoa powder, it’s known as a natural antioxidant and provides potential health benefits. Cocoa is high in polyphenols, antioxidants found in fruits, teas, and wine. They help defend the body against free radical-induced aging and disease.
Can You Eat Avocado Skin?
In most vegetables and fruits, the highest concentration of nutrients stays in the peel or skin. The truth is that avocados have edible skin, too.
However, the skin often has a thick and leathery texture with a bitter taste. Eating it will not be a pleasant experience. If you really want to try the avocado skin, opt for the smooth-skinned variety like Choquette or Hall.
Ingredients for Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- Avocado: Ripe avocados create an ultra-smooth and creamy base for the smoothie. We don’t recommend using unripe avocados for this recipe. They have a bitter taste and change the texture of the drink.
- Chocolate and Cocoa Powder: Cocoa and dark chocolate (60 – 70%) give a rich chocolate flavor and add lots of antioxidants.
- Banana: If you like your smoothie super cold, use frozen bananas. Though freezing bananas the night before takes a bit of preparation, it’s worth it on those hot summer days.
- Dairy: Our chocolate avocado smoothie calls for milk and yogurt to dilute the drink to a silky, creamy texture. Increase the amount of milk if you like your smoothie on the thinner side.
- For a vegan version, you can opt for non-dairy products such as cashew milk or almond milk. Each variant will lead to slight differences in taste, so please feel free to experiment and find the best types for you.
- Honey: Adds sweetness to balance the bitterness of cocoa powder. Note that the amount of honey you need also depends on how ripe your banana is and the type of cocoa powder you use.
- Vanilla: It enhances the chocolate and cocoa powder, making the smoothie more flavorful.
- Ice: The ice creates a thick and chilly texture. If you’re using frozen fruits, omit the ice. Then add the ice until you get the desired consistency.
How to Make Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
Blend all ingredients, except the mint.
Pour into glass.
Garnish with mint leaves. Serve.
Can You Use Frozen Avocado in Smoothies?
Yes, in fact, frozen avocado works wonderfully in smoothies. Plus, keeping avocados in your freezer is a great way to make sure you can make avocado smoothies anytime you want.
How to Tell if an Avocado Is Bad?
The ‘feel’ method is the best way to determine if an avocado is overripe. If an avocado has gone bad, it will have some of these characteristics:
- Mushy and blackened skin.
- When cut, the avocado will have brown flesh areas.
- Abnormal taste and rancid smell.
How Long Does This Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Last?
Containing fruits and dairy, this chocolate avocado smoothie lasts no more than 2 hours at room temperature and only a day in the refrigerator.
If you want to make a couple of batches, pour the smoothie into airtight containers, and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw the drink in the fridge overnight, then stir to combine. Enjoy it cold.
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Recipe
- 6 oz avocado
- 6 oz banana
- 2 cups ice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 0.5 oz 60-69% dark chocolate
- 6 mint leaves
- Put 2 cups ice, 6 oz avocado, 6 oz banana, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp honey, 1/4 tsp vanilla, 2 tbsp cocoa, and 0.5 oz dark chocolate into a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth at your desired consistency.
- Pour in glasses.
- garnish with mint leaves. Serve.