Our new apple pie smoothie recipe is the perfect combination of summer and autumn.
Sip this smoothie whenever you’re craving a slice of apple pie in the middle of a hot summer day when it’s too warm to bake. With its feel-good spices and sweet taste, this drink will take you to autumn in one single sip.
Is Apple Pie Smoothie Healthy?
Yes, our apple pie smoothie recipe is healthy. Here are a few reasons why:
1. Nutritional Value
One serving of our apple pie smoothie contains:
- 182 calories
- 1.9 g saturated fat
- 4 g dietary fiber
- 22.8 g of sugar (only 4.25 g comes from added sugar, the rest comes from the fruits)
This smoothie contains few calories and far less fat and sugar than an actual apple pie. In addition, the inclusion of fresh fruit will supply you with many beneficial micronutrients.
2. Benefits from Apples, Bananas, and Oats
First, let’s take a look at apples.
Apples contain significant amounts of fiber and vitamin C. Additionally, they are packed with antioxidants and polyphenols, which add to the fruit’s abundance of health benefits.
And, thanks to their high fiber and water content, apples are quite filling, making them great low-calorie snacks that fit into most weight loss schemes.
Besides apples, another important ingredient in today’s this smoothie recipe is bananas.
Bananas are relatively low in calories and good sources of soluble fiber. You may often hear people praise bananas for being filling, and they are right.
There is a particular type of soluble fiber in bananas that absorbs water in the intestine and helps slow down digestion.
Besides apples and bananas, we also added old-fashioned oats to our apple pie smoothie recipe.
What we love about oats is that they are a great source of fiber and can make you feel sated and satisfied. For this reason, we believe our smoothie would be a great fit for a healthy snack or a quick and light breakfast.
Ingredients for Apple Pie Smoothie
Here’s what you’ll need for today’s apple pie smoothie recipe:
- Red apples: We often use Gala or Fuji apples, but you can use any sweet red apples you find at the grocery store.
- Bananas: Why do you need bananas in an our smoothie recipe? It’s because bananas act as a base and help create a thick and creamy texture for the smoothie. We promise it’ll work!
- Honey: You only need 1 tablespoon of honey for the whole recipe.
- Spices: Ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger are all warm spices that you can find in a typical apple pie recipe. We add them to our smoothie to replicate the flavor as closely as possible.
- Dairy: Whole milk and Greek yogurt will enhance the flavor of your smoothie, making it richer and more decadent.
- Oats: We used old-fashioned oats for today’s recipe. It will make the smoothie thicker and give you a boost of fiber as well.
- Ice: Cold smoothies tend to taste best.
Are Frozen Apples Good for Making Smoothies?
Yes, frozen apples are good for your smoothie as they chill the smoothie instantly when blended.
If you decide to freeze your apples, be sure to remove the core and cut them into chunks first. Keep them in a Ziploc bag and freeze them for at least 4 hours before you make the smoothie.
Don’t put whole apples into the freezer as they will be too hard to cut later and will not blend smoothly in your blender.
How to Make Apple Pie Smoothie
First, you will need to prepare the fruits.
Start by rinsing the apples under running water and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Cut them in half, remove the cores, and continue to cut them into small chunks.
Peel the bananas and cut them small enough to fit comfortably in your blender.
After that, measure the spices and the remaining ingredients. Once everything is ready, you can proceed with our 2-step apple pie smoothie recipe:
Blend all the ingredients.
Pour into serving glasses.
Garnish and serve.
How Long Does Apple Pie Smoothie Last?
Smoothies made with fresh fruits generally last up to two days in the fridge. However, today’s smoothie may not last that long.
For starters, our apple pie smoothie recipe contains dairy products like whole milk and Greek yogurt, which are highly perishable. Since these two ingredients are blended with the fruits, the combination reduces the shelf life of the smoothie to about 24 hours.
That said, you can store the smoothie in the freezer for up to two weeks. Enjoy it as a healthy, fruity replacement for ice cream.
Apple Pie Smoothie Recipe
Our apple pie smoothie recipe will give you a delicious sweet treat that tastes just like your favorite autumn dessert but is much healthier.
- prep TIME 10 mins
- total TIME 10 mins
- COURSE Beverage, Smoothie
- CUISINE Global
- SERVINGS servings
- CALORIES 182 kcal
- 10 ozred apples (core removed, cut into chunks)
- 8 ozbanana (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 0.3 tspground cinnamon
- 0.3 tspground nutmeg
- 0.3 tspground ginger
- 1 cupwhole milk
- 0.3 cupGreek yogurt
- 1 ozold-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tbsphoney
- 2 cupsice
Blend all the ingredients: In a blender, combine 10 oz apples, 8 oz bananas, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1 cup whole milk, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1 oz old-fashioned rolled oats, 1 tbsp honey, and 2 cups ice. Blend until smooth.
Pour into serving glasses.
Garnish and serve: Divide the drink into four glasses and serve. Enjoy your fresh smoothie.