For those pursuing a healthy lifestyle but still want some snacks once in a while, our air fryer shrimp recipes are for you. With our recommendations, turning raw shrimp into crispy goodness is easy as pie.
Reason to Love Air Fryer Shrimp
Shrimp have an impressive nutrition-dense profile and versatility – featuring in salads, soups, stews, and fried dishes. However, most healthy eaters skip the last option as fried food has been proven to bring various health risks. Yet, we believe consuming fried shrimp in moderation and opting for a suitable frying technique – using an air-fryer – will solve this problem. Here are reasons why air fryer shrimp work wonders.
- They’re a healthier substitution for deep-fried shrimp: Unlike the deep-frying method that submerges your shrimp in tons of cooking oil, the air fryer needs considerably less to no added fat. Using hot circulating air to cook, your shrimp will come out crispy and delicious just the same.
- It’s easy and quick: With no preheating required, place your battered shrimp in the fryer and wait some minutes for a perfectly golden brown shrimp dish.
- It requires less cleaning than deep-frying: While the deep-fryer may leave you with a messy kitchen and greasy utensils, the air-fryer doesn’t. You can take the frying basket out and clean it easily with warm soapy water.
Best Air Fryer Shrimp Recipes
Now that you learned all the tricks, let's put them into practice with our top-grade air fryer shrimp recipes.
1 of 2
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe
1 of 2
Air Fryer Shrimp with Mayo Sauce Recipe
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Shrimp
There is a thin line between well-done shrimp and overcooked ones. We have some tips to ensure your fried shrimp are at their finest every single time.
What Shrimp Should You Use?
When cooking with this shellfish, size is a crucial element to take into account. Whereas small-sized shrimp are great for tossing in salads or simmering in soups, medium to large-sized ones are ideal for frying.
How Long to Cook Shrimp in the Air Fryer?
The cooking time varies depending on the type of shrimp you use.
You can air fry unthawed pre-cooked shrimp for 6-8 minutes, sprinkle on some salt and pepper, garnish with herbs, and enjoy.
Raw shrimp needs more time so you should air fry them at 370℉ for 10-12 minutes.
Can You Use Foil in Air Fryer Shrimp?
Though - technically - you can wrap your shrimp in aluminum foil and place them in the air fryer basket, it’s not advisable for air-fryer beginners. In the worst scenario, the foil may get stuck in the heating element and catch fire. Still, if you want less cleanup, lining the basket with parchment paper will do.
What Can You Coat Shrimp With for Air Frying?
Have you ever wondered why we have to coat shrimp before frying? The answer is straightforward – for that extra layer of crispiness in each bite. Plus, the texture differs slightly depending on your coating choices, making for a more exciting mouthfeel.
- Cornstarch/ All-purpose flour: Using flour to coat fried food is not a novel idea, but the final product looks and tastes surprisingly delicious – tender shrimp with crackly, barely-there coating.
- Panko breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs help retain the moisture of the shrimp during the air-frying process while adding a more noticeable crispy texture.
- Coconut-panko breading: This provides our air-fried shrimp with both texture and flavor – crispiness and creaminess from the desiccated coconut.
How to Keep Air Fryer Shrimp Warm and Crispy Longer?
For those who make multiple batches, you may be interested to know an efficient way to maintain the crispiness of your air-fried shrimp. Place your freshly-cooked shrimp separately onto a cooling rack lined with baking paper. Keep them warm in a low-temperature oven while frying the rest of your shrimp.
We hope our list of air fryer shrimp recipes has fulfilled your fried food dreams most healthily. Don’t hesitate to try out these ideas and share your thoughts with us.
Luna ReginaWriter, Author
- Chase Ilsley
June 7, 2023 at 3:29 AMThis roundup offers a variety of delicious and healthy options for seafood lovers to enjoy.