Looking for an easy tasty meal that can be thrown together in no time? Our 30-minute chicken and cabbage recipe offers a delicious item for your weekday staples: stir-fried savory chicken thigh and tender-crisp cabbage served over hot white rice.
Give this recipe a shot and it may work its way into your list of favorites.
Ingredients for Chicken and Cabbage
What’s great about this recipe is that it only requires a handful of everyday ingredients that are easy to cook and prepare:
- Chicken: We use skinless boneless chicken thighs for this recipe. This cut of chicken is great for stir-fries thanks to its high moisture content, which keeps the meat juicy while being exposed to the oil and heat.
- Cabbage: Fresh, tender-crisp cabbage pairs deliciously with flavorsome stir-fried chicken thigh.
- Olive oil: We use cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil.
- Butter: A bit of butter to add extra moisture and flavor to our dish.
- Spices and seasonings: We include salt, ground black pepper, paprika, minced garlic, and chopped onion.
- Scallion: A sprinkling of freshly chopped scallion on top adds a pop of color and a hint of aroma to our dish.
- Rice: Hot white rice with a mildly sweet taste and fluffy texture makes the perfect pair with any stir-fries. If you want to cut down on calories and get more nutrients, brown rice is a fantastic option.
Is Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry Healthy?
Yes, it is.
First, thanks to the chicken, our dish is high in protein, with one serving containing about 30 grams of this nutrient. Eating adequate protein is crucial as it helps fuel your body for daily activities, as well as promote muscle growth and maintenance.
Then, thanks to the cabbage, our dish is enriched with fiber and other nutrients. The vitamin C content of cabbage is particularly high, with one serving supplying 70% of the RDI.
And though this is a stir-fried dish, we use olive oil to give it a healthy boost.
Saturated fats, sodium, and calories, are also carefully estimated to follow the 2020 – 2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Specifically, there are 4.3 g saturated fats, 588 mg sodium, and 497 calories in one serving.
How to Store and Reheat
Leftover chicken and cabbage can be stored in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container. Before serving, simply give it a brief stir-fry, or just reheat it in the microwave.
You can also freeze the cooked chicken and cabbage in a ziplock bag or airtight container. Before freezing, let the dish cool down to room temperature. Leave a space about half an inch in the bag/container because the stir-fry will expand while being frozen.
What to Serve With Chicken and Cabbage
For a well-rounded dining experience, serve these delicious sides with our chicken and cabbage:
- Popcorn Chicken Recipe
- Cauliflower Nuggets Recipe
- Air Fryer Tofu Recipe
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Air Fryer Onion Rings Recipe
Chicken and Cabbage Recipe
This chicken and cabbage recipe makes a quick and filling meal with moist savory chicken thigh stir-fried with refreshing cabbage, perfect for lunches or weeknight dinners.
- cook TIME 15 mins
- prep TIME 15 mins
- total TIME 30 mins
- COURSE Main Dish
- CUISINE American
- SERVINGS servings
- CALORIES 496 kcal
- 2 ozonion (cut into wedges)
- 2 tbspolive oil
- 18 ozskinless boneless chicken thigh (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tbspbutter
- 15 ozcabbage (shredded)
- 1 tbspgarlic (minced)
- 0.8 tspsalt
- 3.5 cupscooked medium-grain rice (from 1 3/4 cups uncooked)
- 0.5 tspground black pepper
- 1 tsppaprika
- 0.3 cupscallions (chopped)
Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch slices.
Slice the cabbage: Half the vegetable right down the middle, then cut each half into halves again. Remove the core on each half by making two diagonal incisions on the sides. Lay the half flat, and make 1/8" slices to have thin cabbage shreds.
Cook the rice: Rinse the rice with clean water. Gently massage to remove any debris or excess starch. Change the water a few times until it becomes clear, then drain it. After that, cook the rice using a rice cooker or an instant pot.
Peel and mince the garlic: Cut to remove the root part of each garlic clove and mash them with a knife to remove the peel with ease. Mince the peeled cloves.
Cut the onion into wedges: Half the onion lengthwise and slice off the root and head. Lay one half flat, and make a vertical cut right through the center and have two large wedges. Flip the large wedges and cut them into four small wedges.
Chop the scallions: Rinse the scallions, pat dry, then lay them in an even layer on a cutting board. Remove 2 inches of the tops and the root ends, then slide the blade of a sharp knife in a back-and-forth motion to make scallion rings.
Saute the garlic in olive oil: In a skillet over medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp garlic. Stir well for 30 seconds.
Add the chicken, salt, pepper, and paprika: Add 18 oz skinless boneless chicken thigh, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, and 1 tsp paprika. Stir well for 7 minutes.
Add the onion: Add 2 oz onion and stir for 30 seconds.
Add the cabbage and butter: Add 15 oz cabbage and 1 tbsp butter. Turn to heat to high and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
Add the scallion: Remove from the heat, then sprinkle 1/4 cup scallion on top.
Serve with 3 1/2 cups cooked medium-grain rice (for 4 servings).