This kale apple smoothie recipe creates a delectable thirst quencher that is packed with vitamins and minerals.
Is This Kale Apple Smoothie Healthy?
Yes, our kale apple smoothie recipe is healthy.
It’s fruity and delicious, but also nutritionally dense thanks to its two main ingredients: kale and apples.
Both kale and apples have a high fiber content, which can help promote digestive health and boost immunity. In addition, this smoothie also contains orange juice, making it an excellent source of vitamin C.
Furthermore, our kale apple smoothie recipe uses honey instead of granulated sugar. It’s a great sweetener because it contains a small but important amount of antioxidants and its unique aroma adds more depth of flavor to your drink.
If you love apples and kale, we have two recipes solely dedicated to these nutritious ingredients:
- Apple Smoothie Recipe: This creamy smoothie is made with only 6 ingredients but it has an irresistible and divine taste that got us addicted immediately.
- Healthy Kale Smoothie Recipe: Don’t let the color intimidate you. This drink is actually more palatable than it looks thanks to all the additional ingredients we added.
Ingredients for Kale Apple Smoothie
Today’s kale apple smoothie recipe requires these following ingredients:
- Kale: We wouldn’t recommend using leftover kale in the fridge to make a smoothie. Instead, use fresh kale and save the days-old kale for a sautéed recipe.
- Red apples: We usually go with gala or fuji apples but you can use any other type of sweet, red apples you can find at the grocery store.
- Ginger: We love pairing ginger with apples as this combination adds a subtle warmth and spiciness to the smoothie.
- Honey: As mentioned, we add a touch of honey to sweeten the smoothie.
- Greek yogurt: This will make your smoothie taste richer and more like a milkshake.
- Orange juice: This is our secret ingredient in today’s kale apple smoothie recipe. It helps blend the kale more easily and adds a hint of citrus sweetness to your drink.
- And ice: For added body and cooling refreshment.
Do You Peel Apples for Smoothies?
Yes, we do. Although apple skin is edible, it’s quite fibrous and doesn’t blend completely with other ingredients in the smoothie. If you choose not to peel your apples, your drink will end up with a less pleasant texture.
If you don’t mind chewing on bits of apple skin in your smoothie, you can skip the peeling. If you want a smooth drink, remove the skin using a peeler.
How to Make a Kale Apple Smoothie
Before you put everything into the blender, there is some prep work to do.
First, rinse the kale, apples, and ginger root: We always advise you rinse greens and fruits under running water to remove any dirt and/or contaminants. After that, gently pat them dry with a kitchen towel and move on to the next step.
Second, prepare the apples: Remove the skin from the apples using a peeler. Then, remove the cores and cut them into chunks.
Third, peel the ginger: Scrape off the skin using the edge of a spoon. Then, cut it into thin strips. Leftover ginger can be stored in the fridge and saved for another recipe.
Next, cut the kale: Roughly chop the kale leaves into smaller pieces so that they can blend smoothly later.
Lastly, measure out all the ingredients. You are now ready for today’s kale apple smoothie recipe:
Blend all the ingredients.
Pour the drink into serving glasses.
Garnish and serve.
Storing and Freezing the Leftover Smoothie
We recommend drinking this kale apple smoothie within two hours of preparation for optimal quality. If you are not going to drink it immediately, remove the smoothie from the blender, transfer it to an airtight container, and put it in the fridge.
Because our kale apple smoothie contains fresh fruits, kale, and Greek yogurt — all are highly perishable products, it would only be safe to drink within 24 hours in the fridge. We advise you to finish the drink as soon as possible to enjoy its best quality.
If you want to expand the smoothie’s shelf life up to two weeks or a month, you can put it in the freezer. Freezing a smoothie will give you a delicious, low-calorie ice cream that is full of fiber and nutrients.
Kale Apple Smoothie Recipe
- 1 oz kale roughly chopped
- 12 oz red apples peeled, core removed, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger peeled and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups ice
- Blend all the ingredients: In a blender, combine 1 oz kale, 12 oz apples, 1 tsp ginger, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup orange juice, 2 tbsp honey, and 2 cups ice. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the drink into four serving glasses.
- Enjoy your fresh smoothie!