This kiwi juice recipe makes a refreshing and nourishing drink that will provide a nutrient boost and satisfy your thirst with every sip.
What Is Kiwi?
Kiwi — kiwifruit or Chinese gooseberry — is an edible berry of the family Actinidiaceae. The plant is native to China and Taiwan and is also grown commercially in New Zealand.
Kiwi has the shape of an oval and is roughly the size of a chicken egg. The fruit’s skin is brown, fibrous, and coated in light fuzz. The flesh is bright green with a juicy texture, quite similar to peach but with tiny crunchy black seeds.
In terms of flavor, the fruit has a pleasantly sweet, yet tart taste — somewhere between strawberry and ripe pineapple. People often eat kiwi raw as a snack or use it in salad, smoothies or as garnish for cocktails or desserts.
Benefits of Kiwi Juice
Kiwifruit may be small, but they are packed with many vitamins and are a great source of nutrition. Read on for an impressive list of reasons to add kiwi juice to your diet:
1. For Weight Loss
Weight loss is one of the fantastic benefits of kiwi juice. This drink provides your body with an abundant amount of nutrients but keeps the calorie count low.
This means the juice can give you a full feeling without adding excess calories to your body.
2. For Skin
Kiwi juice is packed with antioxidants that help fight free radicals, firm your skin, and delay the aging process. Plus, kiwi contains a good amount of potassium — a mineral that supports tissue repair and speeds up the healing process of skin wounds.
Better than using commercial products, drinking kiwi juice regularly is one of the easiest and most natural ways to get youthful and vibrant skin.
3. For the Immune System
Kiwi is nutrient-dense and full of vitamins, especially vitamin C. To be specific, one cup of this fruit juice provides 273% of your daily recommended vitamin C.
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that boosts immunity and eliminates harmful free radicals from the body. In other words, this delicious juice provides a burst of immune-boosting nutrients in every sip.
Ingredients for Kiwi Juice
When it comes to making juice, there are plenty of add-in ingredients and combinations to consider.
Kiwi: Kiwi juice ranges in color between yellow and green, with ripe kiwis having a sweet, tangy taste.
Celery: Due to its overly intense aroma and flavor, celery juice is seldom drunk alone. But combined with kiwi, it complements the latter’s freshness and comes out moderate in flavor.
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is added to create a distinctive tangy note to the kiwi drink. Plus, it improves the vitamin content and has remedial effects.
How To Peel and Cut Kiwi
If you find yourself confused and frustrated about how to prepare kiwi, no worries. Here are three simple methods to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
- With a vegetable peeler: We start with cutting the ends off the kiwi, then gently slide the peeler over the skin so as it doesn’t crush the fruit.
- With a knife: Place the kiwi on a cutting board and remove the ends of the fruit. Then flip the kiwi to stand upright and use the knife to cut the skin in a downward motion.
- With a spoon: All you need is a sharp knife and a spoon. First, use the knife to cut both ends off the kiwi. Then push the spoon between the skin and the flesh and slowly work the spoon around the kiwi to release the flesh.
Once you’ve finished peeling the kiwis, let’s check out our favorite way to make the juice from these juicy fruits.
How To Make Kiwi Juice
Our kiwi juice recipe contains two main steps: prepare the fruits and mix them in a pitcher.
Mix the kiwi, other fruits, and sugar in a large pitcher.
Blend the kiwi mixture.
Serve over ice.
What Fruits Can Be Added to Kiwi Juice
Kiwi juice is naturally sweet and tangy in taste, making it a versatile base to welcome other fresh fruits.
- Apple: Apple offers a signature sweet taste and is an excellent addition to any juice. You could also try this apple juice recipe for a similarly healthy and lip-smacking drink.
- Strawberry: Like other berries, strawberry has an acidic taste with a slight hint of sweetness. Strawberry juice blends beautifully with kiwi while adding a unique pink color.
How Long Does Kiwi Juice Last?
Since our kiwi juice doesn’t contain any preservatives, it should be consumed within 2 hours for the best nutrient content and taste experience.
If you want to keep the juice a bit longer, keep it in an airtight container or Ziplock bag and place it in the refrigerator. This way, the juice can stay fresh for up to 2 – 3 days, with the flavor remaining unchanged.
Kiwi Juice Recipe
- 20 oz kiwi sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 fl oz celery juice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups ice
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- Add kiwi, lemon juice, celery juice, and sugar to the blender.
- Blend kiwi in a blender. Transfer the mixture to a large pitcher. Use a wooden spoon to stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Serve over ice. Garnish with mint leaves.