Asparagus is a popular spring vegetable. The name “asparagus” comes from the Greek word “asparagos,” meaning “to spring up”.
When it comes to cooking, these hearty greens have a good deal of potential and can be made into a variety of delicious dishes.
Is Asparagus Good for You?
Yes, like most other plants and vegetables, asparagus is very good for your health.
This low-calorie spear-shaped veggie is known to be an excellent source of dietary fiber, rich in vitamins including A, C and B6, and abundant in minerals, such as potassium.
Eating asparagus can potentially help with weight loss, better digestion, healthy pregnancy, and blood pressure control.
Plus, asparagus is high in vitamin K, which helps your blood to clot properly. However, those who are using blood-thinning medications should discuss their vitamin K intake with their doctor, and pay extra attention to how much asparagus (and other vitamin K-rich foods) they eat.
What Is the Best Way to Cook Asparagus?
The best cooking method really depends on what dish you’re planning to make and how much of the nutritional content you want to maintain. The most popular options are:
- Steam: Steaming is one of the healthiest cooking methods since it requires no fat or oil. You can enjoy these greens with optimal freshness and natural flavor.
- Boil: Another quick and easy way to cook asparagus is boiling. You just need a pot, heat and some water. This method also does not add any fat, but can cause the loss of some nutrients. Also, remember not to over cook it, lest it turns too soft and mushy.
- Roast: This method is usually used when making savory asparagus dishes, because of their desirable crisp but tender texture that comes from roasting.
- Sauté: You can use olive oil or butter to saute asparagus with other seasonings, such as garlic, to make a lovely savory dish.
- Grill: This is one of the best ways to cook asparagus thanks to the smoky flavor it adds.
- Air fry: This is pretty similar to grilling your asparagus, the difference is it’s done using an air fryer.
- Pressure cook: This is also like steaming. If you have an Instant Pot at home, just place your asparagus on a trivet, add some water and set it to cook.
What Goes Well With Asparagus?
- Protein: Chicken, salmon, and shrimp all work exceptionally well with asparagus, though others such as beef, pork, and lamb can go great with it as well.
- Dairy products: Golden butter, melty cheese and creamy sauce can elevate the taste and texture of asparagus when cooked together.
- Other vegetables: Mushrooms, tomatoes and potatoes are paired most often with asparagus in a dish. Herbs like basil and parsley also beautifully complement the taste of asparagus.
Our Popular Asparagus Recipes
Take a look at some of our well-loved recipes that include hearty green asparagus!
- Healthy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe: Moist and juicy chicken breast baked with butter-coated russet potatoes and crunchy asparagus. This dish is the epitome of a satiating meal.
- Healthy Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe: Tender chicken, melty cheese, beautiful green spinach, this healthy recipe is loved by both kids and adults alike. We serve it with stir-fried mushrooms and asparagus for a more rounded experience.
- Parmesan Crusted Salmon Recipe: This recipe features moist and rich salmon coated in a golden crust of bread crumbs and parmesan which is simply irresistible. Crunchy asparagus and baby carrots make a lovely complement to the fish.
- Lemon Butter Salmon Recipe: Again, we have salmon with asparagus, because they just taste so good together! Full of fragrance and flavor, this main includes tender, buttery salmon filets with refreshing sweet tomatoes and crunchy asparagus that gives a perfect harmony.
- Shrimp Quiche Recipe: More than just a delicious savory pie, this shrimp quiche with asparagus is a hearty, healthy, satisfying meal for you and your family.
Asparagus Recipes for Dinner
Want some asparagus with dinner? Check out these lovely asparagus recipes below!
- Oven Baked Salmon Recipe: Gorgeous oven-baked salmon with lovely green asparagus, the taste of this wholesome, delicious dish will complete your dinner. It is also quick and convenient as you just put together all ingredients and bake them in the oven.
- Shrimp Chow Mein Recipe: Plump shrimp, crunchy veggies, savory sauce, this rich and flavorful Asian-style dish is a must-try for your dinner list. The stir-fried asparagus works beautifully in this Chinese noodle and vegetable dish.
- Healthy Pan Seared Chicken Breast Recipe: Your family is going to love our flavorful pan-seared chicken breast with a tasty veggie mix, including carrots, mushrooms and asparagus. With this recipe, you will have a simple, low-carb dinner that is both wholesome and fulfilling.
- Shrimp Primavera Recipe: In Italian, the word “primavera” means “spring”. Like its name, this pasta delicacy is flavorful and colorful. Loaded with protein from the juicy shrimp, and other vitamins from a mix of veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, and asparagus, dinner cannot get any more satisfying.
- Pesto Shrimp Pasta Recipe: Plump shrimp, crunchy vegetables, and delicious pasta all come together in a rich and creamy pesto sauce. The asparagus and other veggies work extremely well with this pesto shrimp pasta; an excellent choice for a healthy, tasty, hearty meal.
- One-pan salmon with roast asparagus recipe: You can serve this simple yet delicious main at dinner parties and your guests will love it. The combination of salmon and asparagus is an absolute classic, while tender potatoes and sweet cherry tomatoes add life and color to the dish.
- Asparagus cream pasta recipe: Smooth ribbons of tagliatelle pasta are drenched in cream and asparagus. Simple, yet exquisite, this pastel green delight will please you with every bite.
- Asparagus & new potato frittata recipe: Fulfilling, low in calories and quick to prepare. This amazing egg-based Italian dish with asparagus and new potatoes is an awesome dinner choice for those who are in a rush but want a proper meal.
- Flambéed chicken with asparagus recipe: Simple and classy, this flambéed chicken with asparagus dish is a fantastic meal option for spring dinner parties. It looks and tastes magnificent.
- Creamy tarragon chicken with asparagus recipe: Another dish that contains chicken, new potatoes and asparagus but they are put together so often for a reason; because the combination works. The herby sauce is a delightful addition to this dish and both unifies and lifts the entire meal.
Side Dish With Asparagus Recipes
These proud greens are known to make wonderful side dishes, and these asparagus recipes can show you how:
- Instant Pot Asparagus Recipe: Tender asparagus is paired with a milky white sauce, crispy bacon crumbles and parmesan cheese on top. This simple and tasty side dish will make a wonderful complement to any meal.
- Cream of asparagus soup recipe: This silky, creamy asparagus soup will melt your heart with a healthy but comforting mix of greens. Serve with sourdough bread for a lovely side dish or appetizer.
- Oven-Roasted Asparagus Recipe: The beautiful simplicity of this oven-roasted asparagus dish makes it a winner. It can add extra flavor to a meal with its lovely savory taste.
- Asparagus salad recipe: A colorful mix of crunchy asparagus, baby spinach, tender potatoes and juicy tomatoes will brighten up the whole meal. It makes for a very satisfying side.
- Roast tomatoes with asparagus & black olives recipe: This tasty and elegant dish is bursting with spring colors, dotted with vibrant red tomatoes and black olives on a bed of fresh green asparagus.
- Warm salad of asparagus, bacon, duck egg & hazelnuts recipe: With crunchy asparagus and duck eggs cooked to perfection, topped with nuts and bacon, this warm salad is super simple and extremely tasty.
- Stir-Fried Sesame Asparagus Recipe: In just under 20 minutes, you will have a flavorful, delicious asparagus side dish. These hearty greens are stir-fried with ginger for a warm, spicy taste and sesame seeds for a nutty taste.
- Grilled Asparagus Recipe: This grilled asparagus recipe cannot get any simpler and tastier. With just a little oil, salt and pepper to enhance the natural flavor, enjoy your fantastic grilled asparagus without the distraction of other ingredients.
- Cheesy Garlic Roasted Asparagus: This amazing cheesy garlic roasted asparagus works beautifully with many different mains. The crunchiness of asparagus, the velvet texture of mozzarella cheese and the aroma of crispy stir-fried garlic is just incredible.
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms Recipe: If you’re a fan of both tender asparagus and spongy mushrooms, then you are going to love this recipe! This delicious combination is going to make a perfect side dish for your dinner night.
Those are some suggestions that you can go with to include tasty asparagus in your meal!