For the benefit of a filling family meal, we’re introducing you to this Instant Pot beef bourguignon recipe that’s packed full of meaty and heart-warming flavors. The beef is seared and the vegetables are sautéed in rendered bacon fat and then pressure cooked in a red wine and meat stock until the beef is melt-in-your-mouth tender.
What Is Beef Bourguignon?
Beef bourguignon is a famous braised dish from the region of Bourgogne, France. It’s also known as “beef burgundy” for the essential presence of burgundy alongside the tough beef cut in the stew.
In a common beef bourguignon, beef is slowly braised in a rich sauce made by rendering bacon in the long-simmered stew of meat broth, red wine, and a variety of herbs and vegetables of choice. It’s usually served with mashed potatoes, noodles, crusty French bread, or just white rice to create a delicious meal with fabulous flavors.
With today’s Instant Pot recipe, this famous dish can be done within an hour of prepping and pressure-cooking. You can say bye to hours of simmering and stirring on the stovetop but still get an amazing result akin to the traditional version.
Is Our Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Healthy?
As we carefully tested and made sure the nutritional profile of this dish aligns with our healthy eating guidelines, we can say that it’s a great choice for a wholesome and fulfilling meal.
Each serving of this beef bourguignon has 470 calories and only 108.4mg of cholesterol. Beef chuck roast and bacon serve as the main sources of protein.
Bacon provides enough fat to render the beef and vegetables. It also plays an important role in enhancing the rich and meaty flavor of this dish. Besides, it adds only 2 grams of saturated fat to each serving — not at all a big amount to be worried about.
Best Wine for Beef Bourguignon
The presence of wine guarantees a deep and complex flavor to beef bourguignon. As it mellows out during pressure-cooking, all the flavors are infused together while the beef chunks are fully tenderized.
Burgundy wine comes in vast numbers of classifications and characteristics. Their classifications reflect the vineyard or region they’re produced, so it’s barely possible to sort each of them out in a few words.
Given that beef bourguignon is an easy-going dish, choosing the right brand of wine isn’t that much of a deal. Whichever type you choose, make sure it’s a good quality burgundy.
Best Beef for Beef Bourguignon
We believe beef chuck roast is the most suitable cut for beef bourguignon since it can stand very well for a long simmer. After 45 minutes of pressure-cooking, the beef chuck will cook down to melt-in-your-mouth tender and fall apart beautifully into juicy bites when forked.
You can use any type of stewing beef that works for you as long as it is tough enough to hold in shape and remains tender during braising, but also not too lean.
Beef Bourguignon is traditionally made on the stove, but we discovered that it’s also possible with an Instant Pot.
How to Cook Beef Bourguignon in the Instant Pot
This Instant Pot beef bourguignon recipe is a home-cook-friendly guide to a delicious stew of melt-in-your-mouth tender beef. Made by pressure-cooking beef and vegetables in rendered bacon fat, red wine, and meat stock, here are all the steps to take:
Melt butter on the “Sauté” setting and sauté mushroom for 2 minutes.
Sauté bacon in olive oil for 1 minute.
Add garlic and onion. Stir frequently until fragrant.
Add tomato paste and stir for 30 seconds.
Add carrot and flour. Stir for 30 seconds.
Add beef chuck to sauté with the spices.
Add red wine to the pot. Stir frequently until it’s slightly evaporated.
Add chicken broth, bay leaf, and pearl onion. Cook on the “Meat/Stew” setting.
Perform a quick-release of pressure, add the sautéed mushroom, and cook on the “Sauté” setting.
Portion out, garnish, and serve hot with side dishes.
How to Thicken Beef Bourguignon
To thicken, add an extra 5 minutes of simmering to the beef bourguignon before portioning it out to serve. The broth will naturally reduce in volume to your desired consistency without much effort.
How to Store and Reheat
You can keep leftover beef bourguignon in an airtight container for up to 4 days. If frozen, this dish can keep well for up to 3 months.
Be sure to let it cool completely before storing. Thaw the portions properly in the fridge overnight before reheating. You can either pop it in the microwave or return it to the Instant Pot to warm it up before serving.
Side Dishes for Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
There’s a wide variety of side dishes to pair with a main as rich and hearty as beef bourguignon. Either a simple slice of crusty butter-enriched bread, a bed of egg noodles, or a green salad could do a great job of balancing your palate.
Take a look at our choices for today’s square meal:
- Mashed potatoes: A rich, creamy, yet healthy mash pairs perfectly with our beef bourguignon. Featuring russet potatoes, heavy cream, milk, butter, salt, and pepper, this potato mash comes together in just 30 minutes and can be saved for meals throughout the whole week.
- Pineapple cucumber juice: A healthy and delicious fruit blend that will help you stay nourished, especially after big meals, and reduces the urge to munch on snacks later. The benefits of our pineapple cucumber juice span from immune-boosting properties to antihypertensive capabilities. It also has much less sugar than store-bought juices and no preservatives.
|Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon||Main Dish||471||8.6 g||527 mg|
|Mashed Potatoes||Side Dish||195||3.9 g||309 mg|
|Pineapple Cucumber Juice||Beverage||83||0.0 g||6 mg|
|Total||749||12.5 g||842 mg|
We also have some beef recipes dedicated to instant pot lovers. They are easy to follow and comply with our healthy eating standards:
- Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef Recipe
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef Recipe
- Instant Pot Brisket Recipe
- Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 20 oz beef chuck cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 oz brown mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz bacon thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 oz white onion diced
- 1 tbsp Hunt’s tomato paste
- 8 oz carrots chunked
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp brown gravy mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 fl oz red wine
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 oz pearl onions whole
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Melt 2 tbsp unsalted butter on the “Sauté” setting and sauté 6 oz brown mushrooms for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Sauté 2 oz thinly sliced bacon in 2 tbsp olive oil for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tbsp minced garlic and 4 oz diced white onion. Stir frequently until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add 1 tbsp tomato paste and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add 8 oz chunked carrots and 2 tbsp all-purpose flour. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add 20 oz beef chuck to sauté with 1 tsp thyme, 1 tbsp brown gravy mix, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.
- Add 3 fl oz red wine to the pot. Stir frequently until it's slightly evaporated.
- Add 1 1/2 cup unsalted chicken broth, 1 bay leaf, and 6 oz pearl onions, and give it a quick stirring. Close the lid, seal the valve, and cook on the “Meat/Stew” setting for 35 minutes.
- Perform a quick release of the remaining pressure. Open the lid, turn it back to “Sauté” mode, and return the sautéed mushroom back to the Instant Pot to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Portion out the beef bourguignon onto serving plates. Garnish with 2 tbsp chopped parsley and serve hot with side dishes.