Today’s quick and easy ground beef and cabbage recipe is made in one skillet and packed with big flavors. It takes just 15 minutes of sautéeing for a budget-friendly and super fulfilling meal that’s loaded with veggies and healthy protein!
Is Ground Beef and Cabbage Healthy?
Yes, it is.
This ground beef and cabbage recipe calls for a hearty combination of 85% lean ground beef, cabbage, carrots, yellow onion, and simple pantry seasonings to enhance the taste. The flavors are identical to cabbage rolls but less demanding to put together and much lighter overall.
This dish also provides an extensive range of possibilities for customization, little clean-up, and low cholesterol (only 57.8mg per serving).
Cabbage is packed with dietary fiber and is a gut-friendly ingredient to add to your diet to keep your digestive system working smoothly. It creates a healthy combination with ground beef and also takes on the spices excellently.
Ingredients for Ground Beef and Cabbage
- Meat: Ground beef
Ground beef is a great choice to stretch the budget. It’s easy to flavor, time-efficient, and simple to prepare.
Pork, turkey, lamb, or any other type of ground meat can work just as well for this recipe. All you need to do is brown it quickly with the spice mix until fragrant, then add sauces of your choice if desired.
- Vegetables: Cabbage, carrot, onion
Cabbage, carrots, and yellow onions are added for color and texture. Feel free to mix things up and give it a try with any vegetables you have on hand.
To save time spent washing and chopping the whole cabbage head, consider buying pre-shredded cabbage mix in bags instead.
How to Prepare Cabbage
You’ll need about 10 ounces of chopped cabbage for this recipe. Here’s a step-by-step on how to wash and cut it:
- Place the cabbage head under running water.
- Gently scrub it with your hand to remove dirt, especially those hidden underneath the leaves.
- Pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Remove bruised and wilted leaves on the outer layer of the cabbage (if any).
- Turn the cabbage so that it sits upright on your cutting board. Use a sharp knife and cut it straight down the middle in half.
- Take one half and cut it in half lengthwise to create quarters. Make a diagonal cut to remove the core. Do the same thing with the other half.
- Continue to cut the quarters in half lengthwise, then chop them into chunks.
- Use your hands to separate the cabbage layers.
- Gather the cabbage chops into a bowl, set aside, and get ready for cooking.
How to Make Ground Beef and Cabbage
This quick and easy ground beef and cabbage recipe is made in one skillet and packed with big flavors from seasoned ground beef and fresh veggies. Follow these simple steps for a hearty and fulfilling meal after just 15 minutes of sautéeing:
Sauté veggies in heated olive oil until softened. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Sauté the minced garlic.
Add ground beef and spices to the skillet to brown.
Return the sautéed vegetables to the skillet and stir quickly. Then, turn off the heat.
Sprinkle coriander on top and stir through the beef.
Taste and season.
Portion out and serve hot with rice.
How to Store and Reheat the Leftover
Leftover ground beef and cabbage can keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days. As such, ground beef and cabbage is a great make-ahead option for busy weeknights.
When frozen, this dish can last up to 2-3 months. Before the day of serving, simply thaw it in the fridge overnight.
To reheat, pop it in the oven or in the microwave to warm it through, or give it another round of sautéeing on the stovetop.
What to Serve With Ground Beef and Cabbage
Ground beef and cabbage is already amazing when served as is, but there’s always room to get creative with it. For example, you can serve it over a bed of steamed rice or mashed potatoes. Alternatively, enjoy it with a crusty baguette on the side for more texture.
We also finished off our combination ground beef and cabbage meal by pairing it with a delicious side and a refreshing fruit juice. Check it out:
- Winter melon meatball soup: This wholesome and simple winter melon meatball soup is delicious Chinese comfort food that helps sneak more veggies into your meal. It’s super easy to make and takes only 15 minutes from start to finish.
- Orange pineapple juice: This five-ingredient orange pineapple juice recipe is an easy, homemade, digestion-aiding juice. It’s kid-friendly and super refreshing in taste and can be served for breakfast, parties, or as starters.
More Delicious Ground Beef Ideas!
Here are some tasty, easy ground beef meals that we just couldn’t help but fall in love with:
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipe
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- Thai Basil Beef Recipe
- Beef Quesadilla Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Recipe
Quick and Easy Ground Beef and Cabbage Recipe
Today's quick and easy ground beef and cabbage recipe is made in one skillet and packed with big flavors. It takes just 15 minutes of sautéeing for a budget-friendly and super fulfilling meal that's loaded with veggies and healthy protein!
- cook TIME 15 mins
- prep TIME 10 mins
- total TIME 25 mins
- COURSE Main Course
- CUISINE Thai
- SERVINGS servings
- CALORIES 498 kcal
- 12 oz85% lean ground beef
- 1.5 tbspolive oil (divided)
- 10 ozraw cabbage (chopped)
- 2 ozcarrot (julienned)
- 2 ozyellow onion (sliced)
- 1 tbspgarlic (minced)
- 1 tsppaprika
- 0.3 tspsalt
- 0.5 tspground black pepper
- 0.5 tbspsesame oil
- 2 tbspreduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 tspsriracha
- 2 tbspcoriander (chopped)
- 2 tbspscallion (chopped)
- 1 tspred pepper flakes
- 3.5 cupcooked medium-grain white rice
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté 10 oz raw cabbage, 2 oz carrot, and 2 oz yellow onion for 5 minutes until softened. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Continue to add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and sauté 1 tbsp minced garlic for 30 seconds.
Add 12 oz ground beef, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce, and 1 1/2 tsp sriracha to the skillet. Gently break up the ground beef with a wooden spoon as it browns, about 7 minutes.
Return the sautéed vegetables to the skillet. Quickly stir for 1 minute and then turn off the heat.
Sprinkle 2 tbsp chopped coriander on top and give it another stir through the beef.
Taste and season with 2 tbsp chopped scallion and 1 tsp red pepper flakes.
Portion out. Serve hot on a bed of cooked white rice.