Today’s cheeseburger pizza recipe combines two classic takeout dishes: cheeseburgers and pizza.
In case you can’t decide what to make for dinner or have been craving both pizza and a cheeseburger, this cheeseburger pizza is here to save the day! In each slice, you get a little taste of everything — the juicy sautéed beef, tomatoes, red onions, and melted mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese on top.
Is Cheeseburger Pizza Healthy?
As we all know, both cheeseburgers and pizzas are usually high in fat due to the generous amounts of meat and cheese. However, our recipes are customized to keep dishes with health guidelines and still preserve their great taste.
There are 491 calories, 8 grams of saturated fat, and 593.8 milligrams of sodium in one serving. These numbers adhere to the current USDA’s Dietary Guidelines, making our pizza a healthy choice that helps meet your daily dietary needs.
Cheeseburger Pizza Ingredients
Our cheeseburger pizza recipe requires simple ingredients. For instance, you’ll have mayo and ketchup on the base, juicy sautéed beef, tomatoes, and red onions next, and then melted mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top.
Our cheeseburger pizza toppings are 85% lean ground beef, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes. A seasoning mix of pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and mustard is also added to the skillet when sautéing the beef to lend more depth of flavor.
We used lean beef in this recipe, but you can choose whichever beef cut you have or prefer (just bear in mind that some are fattier than others and that will alter the overall nutrition stats of the meal).
- Pizza cheese
On top of these pizza slices, you’ll find a thick, stringy layer of melted mozzarella cheese and sharp cheddar cheese. Cheese is an essential ingredient when it comes to pizza because it helps bind the toppings onto the crispy crust and is the key factor in creating that creaminess for the dish that balances out the other elements.
You can take this cheesy layer as a blank canvas to top with almost anything you prefer. It’s time for you to get creative! Many people like to add typical cheeseburger additions, such as pickles, thousand island dressing, and (after it’s been baked) shredded lettuce.
How to Make a Cheeseburger Pizza
This cheeseburger pizza recipe combines cheeseburgers and pizza into one tasty and wholesome treat. Here’s a step-by-step on how to make this delicious, decadent pie:
Preheat the oven.
Combine undissolved yeast with warm milk.
Make the crust.
Sauté onion until fragrant.
Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add beef, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and mustard.
Knead the dough into a 2mm-thick round canvas.
Fold an inch of the edges towards the center.
Use a fork to pick the surface of the dough.
Bake the pizza dough.
Remove the pizza. Spread mayo over the base of the pizza.
Continue to spread ketchup over the dough base.
Add the filling: sautéed beef, tomatoes, and red onions.
Spread mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese on top.
Bake at 440℉ for 5 minutes.
Garnish with parsley, cut into slices, and serve hot.
How Long Is Pizza Good for in the Fridge
- Before baking:
You can pre-bake the pizza dough in the oven, add the filling and toppings on the pizza crust, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for no longer than 12 hours until you’re ready to bake it.
- After baking:
Leftover slices of this cheeseburger pizza can be put in Ziploc bags or airtight containers and last for up to 3 days in the fridge. Cheeseburger pizza is a great make-ahead dish as it’s also freezer-friendly and can stay good for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Carefully wrap it tightly with plastic wrap, cover it with aluminum foil, and then put it in the freezer.
How to Reheat the Leftover Pizza
To reheat the leftover cheeseburger pizza slices, first, make sure that they have defrosted completely (if you take them out of the freezer) so the pizza won’t end up with excess moisture. Next, put them in the oven and bake at 350℉ for a few minutes until warmed through.
Learn more about the best ways to reheat pizza to make sure you preserve the best taste and texture of every leftover piece of pizza.
What to Serve With Cheeseburger Pizza
Known for its versatility, this cheeseburger pizza can be served at breakfast, lunch, or even dinner.
There are many ways to modify it to your diet and taste, for example, you can add extra roasted vegetables or spread it with extra dollops of ketchup or hot sauce before eating. For visual appeal, we also sprinkle freshly chopped parsley on top.
To create a delicious meal, we decided to pair this dish with a light salad and a refreshing fruit juice:
- Beet and Feta Cheese Salad: Loaded with diverse textures and flavors from the hearty wedges of roasted beets, succulent navel oranges, crunchy walnuts, and salty feta cheese crumbles in one big bowl, this salad is a true burst of freshness, especially when dressed with a tangy olive-oil-infused vinaigrette.
- Pineapple Celery Juice: This low-calorie, sweet-sour juice is a perfect choice to finish off today’s meal and at the same time, give your body a healthy dose of potassium and vitamin C. Feel free to enjoy it whichever way you prefer, warm or chilled!
In case you are now craving more healthy pizza, our Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe is a lovely option.
Cheeseburger Pizza Recipe
- 6 oz ground beef 85% lean
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup whole milk warm
- 6.6 oz all-purpose flour divided into two parts of 5.2 oz and 1.4 oz
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 4 oz yellow onion diced
- 4 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp traditional Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp Heinz ketchup
- 2 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 oz red onion sliced
- 1 1/2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 tsp undissolved yeast with 1/2 cup warm milk for 2 minutes.
- Add 5.2 oz all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1/2 tbsp sugar to the mixing bowl. Mix until well combined, then cover and let rest for 10 minutes until a soft dough ball is formed.
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Sauté 4 oz diced yellow onion until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add 4 oz diced white mushrooms to the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 6 oz ground beef, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard. Sauté until golden brown and fragrant (3 minutes).
- Place the dough ball onto a floured surface (use 1.4 oz flour). Knead it into a 2mm-thick round.
- Fold an inch of the edges towards the center.
- Use a fork to prick the surface of the dough so it won’t rise too much in the oven.
- Bake the pizza dough for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizza base from the oven. Spread 1 tbsp mayonnaise over the base of the pizza.
- Continue to spread 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup over the base on top of the previous layer of mayo.
- Add the toppings: sautéed beef, 2 oz cherry tomatoes, and 2 oz sliced red onion.
- Spread 1 1/2 oz shredded cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 oz shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake at 440 °F for 5 minutes until the center is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- Garnish cheeseburger pizza with 2 tbsp chopped parsley, cut into slices, and serve hot.