Most of us are familiar with the classic Greek salad. How about giving it a little twist to freshen things up? Today’s Greek Chicken Salad recipe calls for delicious chicken breast as a way to add protein to the dish so that you can enjoy it as a light lunch or easy dinner.
Of course, we cannot leave out that wonderful Greek-style vegetable mix with the delicious and no-fuss dressing that brings it all together.
No more talking, let’s dive in!
Is Greek Chicken Salad Healthy?
Yes, it is a healthy choice.
First, the chicken in our salad provides a significant 20.6 g of protein per serving for your daily protein intake.
Further to that, the vegetables in this dish offer a considerable amount of fiber, which can help contribute to weight loss, and lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Also, it is a low-carb and low-calorie dish, having only 4.9 g of total carbohydrates and 202 calories per serving. This makes it a great option for those on a diet.
Ingredients for Greek Chicken Salad
1. For the Chicken
- Chicken breast: Chicken breast is added to incorporate protein into the dish, giving it a more fulfilling eating experience. Moreover, the distinctly savory taste of chicken is just perfect for this salad.
- Spices: We marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, olive oil, paprika, and dried oregano to make it more flavorful.
2. For the Salad
- Romaine lettuce: This addition of leafy greens is another twist to the original Greek salad, giving it a more refreshing touch.
- Cucumber: Fresh and crunchy slices of cucumber are just right for any summer salad.
- Cherry tomato: Sweet-tart and juicy cherry tomatoes add color and flavor to our dish.
- Black olive: We use black olives in this recipe, but since the traditional Greek salad calls for the kalamata variety, feel free to switch if you prefer.
- Red bell pepper: Red bell pepper with its mildly sweet taste and crisp-firm texture is awesome to have in our veggie mix.
- Red onion: The slightly sweet and pungent taste of red onions complement our salad perfectly.
Not everyone is a fan of red onions so you can choose to leave them out depending on personal preference.
You can also mellow down the strong flavor of raw red onions by soaking the slices in hot water for about 10 minutes, then rinsing under cold water. Let them dry before adding to the salad.
3. For the Dressing
- Olive oil: We use cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt: A dash of salt is added to taste.
- Pepper: The pungent flavor of pepper gives a kick to our dressing.
- Red wine vinegar: A splash of red wine vinegar gives our mix a vibrant punch.
- Parsley: Parsley adds extra aroma.
4. For the Topping
- Feta cheese: This favorite Greek ingredient simply cannot be omitted. You can either cut your cheese into small blocks in the traditional Greek way or use a fork to gently break it down into crumbs.
- Parsley: Parsley is used to garnish our salad.
How to Serve Greek Chicken Salad
This light-tasting Greek chicken salad is great on its own as a light dish.
Nonetheless, if you are looking for a heartier meal that is more fulfilling, then it also makes a great side dish to beautifully complement any main course on your menu.
How to Store the Leftover
Like any other salad, this Greek Chicken salad is best served fresh.
If you have any leftovers, just keep them in an air-tight container in the fridge. The salad should last up to 2 days.
How to Prep Ahead
- For the chicken: You can marinate it the evening before and keep it in the fridge.
- For the salad: You can chop up the vegetables, then refrigerate them in separate containers. This way, they will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- For the dressing: Good news is that you can easily make the dressing ahead and keep it refrigerated for up to 2 weeks!
Before serving, just assemble the salad and the cooked chicken, then drizzle on the dressing. Don’t forget to add the feta cheese!
How to Make Greek Chicken Salad
- 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 oz skinless boneless chicken breast
- 2 oz cucumber sliced into half-moons
- 4 oz romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 oz red onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 oz cherry tomato halved
- 1 oz red bell pepper sliced
- 1 oz black olive sliced
- 0.5 oz crumbled feta cheese
- Marinate 12 oz chicken breast with 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp paprika, and 1 tsp oregano. Air-fry the chicken at 375°F for 15 minutes.
- Make the dressing while waiting. Add 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, and 1 tsp parsley to a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Take out the chicken and cut into slices.
- Arrange the chicken slices with 4 oz romaine lettuce, 2 oz cucumber, 1 oz red onion, 4 oz cherry tomato, 1 oz red bell pepper, and 1 oz black olive on a serving plate. Top with feta cheese and parsley, then pour over the dressing right before serving.